Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Topic: Whatever is on my mind

Here is a thought of mine, that I have been trying to get out in the open.
Through out my life I have heard many comments about Mexicans, in the United States. Or at least that is how people seem to call Hispanics, "Mexicans”. The fact is that, about 20 percent are from other countries. Though sometimes even they themselves like to say they are Mexicans. It's kind of confusing really.
For example, the lady who accidentally killed four kids in Minnesota, while she was driving without a license. Apparently she told every one she was from Mexico, however is not. She is actually from Guatemala. I honestly don't understand why she would lie about that, but what ever floats her boat.
Also, some of the people who are categorized as Hispanics are actually born in the United States. Those who; apparently have pride in being from another country, when they really are not. What is that about?
Yeah, I understand their parents have a different nationality. And it could be very intriguing to say. But okay, here is something dreadful that many Hispanics don’t like to realize.
Why are we treated different? Why don’t we have the same rights? Why are we even categorized? I thought racism was no longer supposed to exist.
Could it be related to the “Hispanic” teens that are not parented the right way, or just the teens themselves? The ones, who claim to be gang related. My personal thought is, they are giving us, as Hispanics a horrible and gruesome reputation.
I have heard different comments from other Hispanics, about Hispanics, who are always asking for right in the U.S. yet commit crimes. Or take advantage of the right we already get. If we are always seen as the kind of people who; graphity walls, commit crimes, join gangs, kill... Why would we even get what we are asking for, if we don’t even pay it forward.
I would love to someday have a conversation with some body who is involved in a gang of some sort. There are many questions I would love to have answered.

No comments: